POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Normal problems - waves too 'flat' : Re: Normal problems - waves too 'flat' Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal problems - waves too 'flat'
From: David Karl
Date: 2 Jul 2004 11:44:00
Message: <40e582c0$1@news.povray.org>
"Hughes, B." <bob### [at] charternet> wrote in message
<snip>

> Um... hmmmmm. No idea why that is, but your message here got me to trying
> number_of_waves and I'm seeing once again what might have been a bug
during
> beta testing, which could be totally unrelated. However, then again it
could
> be related in at least some obscure way I guess. Unfortunately, I don't
> recall what, if anything might have been done about it. I was a little
> sparse on beta testing toward the end.
>
> For instance: if global_settings {number_of_waves 10}} is used (the
default)
> I get a different (and incorrect) rendering from the next, or following,
> render without changing its value. To see this happen yourself you'll need
> to set another value, render, then change it to 10, render, and finally
> render one last time after that. Take note of the appearance of the sphere
> when 10 is used the first time. Of course, it might not happen for
everyone.

> Bob H.

Yeah, I had noticed that too, but just thought it was me doing something
wrong :)
I tried playing around with just one wave to try and get the desired effect,
but the same 'flattening' occurred, and since the wave center was placed
randomly (well, pseudo-randomly I guess), it didn't really do what I
wanted... I don't have the older source around anymore, but the 2.2
documentation even states it used 10 waves by default, so I don't think it's
as simple as that changing in current versions. I'll keep plugging at it
though, any other ideas?

Thanks,

-D